Earthquake explorers addresses AC Science Understanding ACSSU096 Sudden geological changes and extreme weather events can affect Earth’s surface, through the context of earthquakes.
Earthquake explorers provides students with hands-on opportunities to:
- explore the how the effects, magnitude and intensity of earthquakes are measured
- model changes to the earth’s surface that occur as a result of earthquakes
- compare data about earthquakes
- model how scientists collect data about earthquakes
Students apply their new learning by:
- analysing data to compare earthquake activity in Australia and neighbouring regions and investigating how scientists collect accurate data about earthquakes
Linking science with literacy
In the Primary Connections approach, students are supported to create representations that draw on and strengthen their literacy development. In Earthquake explorers, students represent and explain their understanding about how sudden geological changes and extreme weather events can affect Earth’s surface, by creating these representations:
- Cutaway diagram
- Factual recount
- Factual text
- Oral presentation
- Story board
- TWLH chart
- Word wall
A national agency for geoscience research.
The latest science news, in-depth features, games and conversations as they happen from around Australia and the world.